Tuesday, September 13, 2011

On the Trouble with White Coats

My white coat is a pain in the ass. I know a lot of people wash them weekly for hygiene purpose. I used to just keep them for one whole posting before sending them to the laundry (at home). But since a few months ago that Mum's more often coming over, we saw the more often that the white coat is in the laundry.

Initially, I thought getting the white coat soaked in Clorox would get rid of all the stains, dirt and whatever stuff that's stained on the white cloth. I let it soaked overnight, and the next day, to my horror... It turned yellow! It wasn't pale cream coloured yellow, but it's YELLOW!

I had to use the other white coat I had from pre-clinical years because the one I wear all the time, was too yellow to meet the public.

Days later, Sis got the blue stain thingy to make the white coat the tinge of bluish colour most white cloths do. But guess what, the white coat came out RED!!!

I almost got a heart attack really. Mum came in a week later, and help out with the Clorox-ing again. And she found that if we don't soak the cloth too long, the whites won't go yellow. Or TOO yellow. It's still got a tinge of yellow cream on it, but at least it's wearable.

We even tried out some stain remover. God knows where these red-pinkish stain came from. Looked like blood or something. But to have those stain as big as that, I would've been wearing the white coat into the operation theatre and got the blood splashed on me!

But still, the coat still has a tinge of yellow cream on it. Even with the blue dye, it doesn't come out the bluish tinge as how we used to have in our primary school uniform.

One fine day, Mum brought home bleach. And after reading the instruction and being careful not to soak the coat too long, Mum finally was leaping in joy. She was literally yay-yay-ing! Finally it's white again!

But as the yellow coating on the white coat were bleached, the 'blood stain' became more obvious! We tried to wash them off with the stain remover, and finally, the final product, we're hoping it'll be white again.

Like white... WHITE...

Sometimes, white cloths aren't that easy after all.

7 Jujus:

caroliegrant said...

Talking about white uniforms, I spoilt two of my girl's shirts... one become brownish and one yellowish.. sigh..

Yenyl said...

if next time, the yellow stain persist, use fresh lemon juice and apply on the stain...I guess Varnish white will be a better option, clorox will kill your clothes in less than 20 times of usage

[SK] said...

oh, i thot the longer you soak the whiter it will be~~ :D

Gratitude said...

Fret not, I haven't seena medic in sparkling white coats before.
+Ant+

TZ said...

hehehe... i know where to send for laundry on my white shirt :p

Small Kucing said...

Just send for laundry la till the day you found someone to hand wash for you. Anyway, not good also soaking in clorox. The coth very fast tear :(

Anonymous said...

it would have saved u alot if u had just gone out n get a new coat insteadof blogging bout your coat.....