Sunday, May 30, 2010

On the Not so Hakka Hakka-ngin

Guess what? Albeit it's so commonly known that Hakka people has this traditional cuisine called the abascus seed (算盘子), I really have no idea what it was until 2 weeks back when we went out for dinner. Somewhat a belated birthday dinner for me and Dad, as how Mum said.

So there we were at this Traditional Hakka Restaurant in Kota Damansara one weekend, trying out all the traditional meals we used to have when Grandma was around. Just that it didn't seemed quite right. LOL. Perhaps there's always a degree of difference of Hakka from the West of Malaysia and the East.

Either that, or we ordered something not so traditional. Hah. Stir fried vegetables were common, quite nice alright. Fishball soup were normal, quite nice too. And deep fried pork cubes. Delicious. Biased comments. Largely because I'm a carnivore. LOL.

Ordered a fruit cocktails or something. They served me in a miniature jug and cup, of which I had to pour out the cocktail into the cup before I drink. Sour. A pinch of sweetness. Yuck. Mum laughed at the look of my first sip. But I suppose it was nice when you're thirsty.

But having our birthdays belatedly celebrated, Mum ordered 2 chicken drumsticks, one for Dad and another one myself. It was some chinese herbal stuff. A bit salty, I thought.

Last remarks, who'd have known this abascus sead thingy, it's not nice at all! Ewww. LOL

I think I'll just stick to being proudly say MY traditional cuisine is the stuffed tofu and pounded tea rice. At least I love the first. :D

8 Jujus:

TZ said...

oh ... so you been to the hakka restaurant that we passed by :p

smallkucing said...

This restaurant looked familiar la

Danny said...

never tried the abacus seeds out side.. cos my granny's is the best.. but she is gone now..
haven't eat that for quite some time liao...

Paul Figaro J said...

the abaccus seed very nice lerr..i like it so much!! the other hakka food i like is lui char....nice lor..lotsa veggie and healthy too!

William said...

Shuen pun zhi... yuck!

Reanaclaire said...

i dont like the abacus seeds too.. nothing like the good old days..

manglish said...

i think there is one shop sell the abacus seed in SEA park quite nice...quite traditional..

Gratitude said...

Shuen pu zee, if prepared well, is actually nice. I thank the Hakkas for their yong tau fu. Will intro a nice Hakka place for your parent's next visit. It's in Jalan Pudu.
+Ant+