Friday, July 02, 2010

On the Quarrel

Went out with classmates last night till wee in the morning. Went for movie, then went for dinner, chatted until 9 something, and then headed out to Mid Valley for another movie, finally only reaching home at 1 in the morning.

Complicated reasons. I can tell you the happy reason, of which it's basically the weekend. Or I can choose to tell you the dark twisted secrets, which practically turned me nuts.



I had a row with my mama. The previous night.

She called, as per usual, asking the usual, had dinner? At home now? Doing reports? Next week start busy again? It's been the same questions, without fail, for the past 1 week. And I guess I must've raised my voice with the one-word answers tad a little louder. She kept quiet.

Then I asked, anything else? She finally replied, in a teary tone, "No more, nothing, I don't want to bother you."

Then I hung up.

5 minutes later, she sent me an sms "Have I done anything wrong? Why you treat me like that? I'm very hurt!"

I called her, "What is it with you?"

"What is it with YOU! You cannot talk to me like this!"

"You calling me every single night, asking me wherever I went, and whatever I do, and whoever I go out with, it's very annoying! I am 23 for Christ's sake! I'm not a kid anymore! I'm not your 12 years old underage boy who needs parental guidance in everything I do. I'm an adult! You calling me and monitoring whatever I do, it's very very annoying!"

"Annoying is it now? Okay! Fine, I won't call you again!"

"Fine! Don't call me!"

I hung up again. Pictures were already flashing before my eyes. She'd start to cry, then she'd call the sister, and spilled everything to the sister, and the sister would come asking me to apologize to Mum. Which exactly turned out as how I expected. Sis knocked on the door a few times, I just ignored it, and lie on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

Then Mum called. 5 times. I ignored all.

Then she sent me sms again, "I just wonder why you reject mummy. At least wherever you go and whatever you do, just inform your parents. I know you are big enough to decide. It is a respect to your parents. I just feel you are drifting further and further from Mummy."

I read. And put it aside, continued to stare at the ceiling, heart aching.

Then another message, "I teach my students to respect their parents everyday and yet I can't teach my own son to respect his mother. Poor me!"

Upon the second message, I was really angry. I'd have called her and tell her off again, for her wanting me to report everything about me, she's the one who make me distance myself from her. Her wanting to know everything about me, she might as well just live this life of mine, I might as well just give her my life no? I felt she's controlling everything. I have to tell her who I go out with, introduce her to my friends, and tell her where I'm going. It's like, she's limiting my social life. She doesn't do it openly, but she's using all these reverse psychology, pretending to be okay with whatever I'm doing, but worrying nuts until I'm back home, knowing clearly I'll worry that she worries too much, so that I would get home early to ease her worry. She's smart, she's playing guilt with me, knowing so well I'm so ever soft-hearted.

But I was holding firm the night before last night, I didn't gave in. And I guessed I managed to go to sleep in the end.

But when I went out last night, my phone battery ran out. Knowing so well she'd call me till her phone explode, part of me felt like just letting her be. But another part of me worried that she'll worry too much.

So, I still gave in in the end. I used the friend's phone and called her, "I'm outside now. My phone battery is dead. Watching late night movie. Will be home late after midnight. Bye."

At least she knows I'm outside.

11 Jujus:

smallkucing said...

you are not staying with your mom is it? You staying with your sister?

Yes, can be very "farn" to have kept getting calls like kena control left and right. Go out with friends also kena give 1001 reason and having to see black face when arrive home late. Really spoilt the mood when receive calls like that during night out with pals

I guess your mom might be having empty nest syndrome gua.At home nothing better to do, watching all those accidents,robberies and murders news in TV and internet. worry about you more lo

well, hope you and your mom can mend your differences.

William said...

She should learn to let go. And as a responsible son, you also got put her heart at peace.

manglish said...

whatever it is, all i can tell you is 23 is a very awkward year. but things will clear up soon once u start working for a few years :)

[SK] said...

i guess both have to communicate well lah.. your mum has to understand that you've grown up, and you have to understand mum always treat children like kids..

both has to do a little gave-in and adjust the mindset.. :)

LittleLamb said...

i'm sure she had used this phrase on you.."wait till you have your own children one day..and you will know what i mean"

hehehe jumping here from Claire. I remembered earlier you wanted some studies on babies-toddlers...you the one right

the viennamese said...

Heh, well I agree that the parents (especially moms) can be very annoying with their un-ending repetitive questions every single day.

But nowadays my mom doesn't call me anymore. Instead, I call her everyday to check up on her. She gets quite annoyed at me sometimes. Haha! :P

Gratitude said...

I hate to say it, but I do agree about you holding your fort. I know you well enough to be a good son, so it's better now to let your mom get used to the idea that you're a responsible youngh adult now, and her extremism is not necessary. ;)
+Ant+

Paul Figaro J said...

luckily when i was abroad for study, i dont have handphone, so no call from parents...hahahahah....so they get used to it already by the time i had one. parents tend to ask where are we going? with who? what time come back etc...arrr...imagine they still ask me at my age! -.-"
sometime i wanna tell them "i'm going to an orgy party, don't worry, they provide condom" hahahha....ishh..i'm such a bad friend...

savante said...

Hey you'll miss such questions when she does stop asking. I know it's irritating at times but at least you do know she cares.

Mothers care. And so would you when you have your own kid in the future.

ZT said...

i understand how u feel, but i feel more for ur mum.

blue said...

bring home some friends for her to see how decent your friends are..then probably she would be more comfortable with u hangout outside with ur frens. And avoid going home late evryday might help too :)