Thursday, June 24, 2010

On the Phut

Seriously. I don't mean to insult anyone. But I'm just curious. Really.

Chinese have a lot of really odd surnames when it comes to their English translation. My surname alone, there are a few versions in English. 黄 (pronounce as Huáng in Mandarin), in Hakka it's Bong; Wong or Ng in Hokkien, could also be Wee or Ooi. You prolly might've came across a similar post long ago on this blog.

The other day, Mum was asking if I know this really special surname of "Phut".

*eyes wide open* How do you even pronounce that??

P-oo-t as in "put".

F-ae-t as in "fart" minus the 'r'.

F-oo-t as in "foot"

P-ae-t as in "part" minus the 'r'.

Really. I looked through the net out of curiosity and still, I have no idea what it is! Or maybe he's not a Chinese after all. LOL.

Then again, if anything, he shoulda thank me if you decide to call him up. ^^

4 Jujus:

William said...

Orang dulu2 when go register births speak in dialects and not literate. The NRD punya officer also dengar until blur2, pakai hentam only.

smallkucing said...

Ya .. agree with what William said. Sometimes in a family, the sibling have different surname due to the NRD officer blur sotong

[SK] said...

yeah, i really have no idea how to pronounce this..

Reanaclaire said...

pronounced as Foot, right?