Sunday, March 07, 2010

On the First "Lou Sang"

I know it'll probably be quite a stale news by now, just thought it's worth mentioning since it's quite a special experience for myself. I did my first time "lou-sang"-ing this year with some friends. See, we Hakka people don't have this kind of tradition. Not sure whether it's the Hakka in general, or just us. But really, I've never ever done any "lou-sang" before, despite having heard of it so many times since years ago. And it never crossed my mind to have any "lou-sang" either!

So when a friend asked me to organize one, I was like, "wth? I don't have such tradition one lor. And I never do "lou-sang" before!"

His reply was, "This is your chance!"

T.T



I had no idea as to where I could find this really. I mean, I eat out sometimes, but I really had no idea where we could find such thing. So I did some Googling and came across the reviews of Tai Tong Spring Valley Restaurant. Sent out the invites to the other friends and booked a table for 10 straight away.



Upon arrival at the restaurant, we were guided to our table at the far corner of the restaurant. Coolness! Very isolated, very cosy in that sense too!



But not all 10 person whom I invited were free that night, so we decided against ordering the promotional set. I mean, well, from experience, most often than not, the full course meals in such Chinese Restaurants were just really too much and doesn't worth the value. So we ordered some ala-carte instead.



"Lou-sang"
came first. After the dish were prepared, all the chopsticks went in and we started to throw the stuff into the air. People say, the higher and the messier the "lou-sang" is, the more "ong" we'll be!


Salmon in!


Sauce in!


Ready... steady....


GO!


Pass exam! More bonuses! Stay healthy! Get married! More sex! LMAO

But of course, we had to control ourselves. Tai-Tong isn't exactly a cheap place you know? We want all our money paid eaten completely. I kinda like it too! LOL.



We also had some other dishes. I find the chicken so so only. It didn't quite tasted like chicken, but rather more of a duck to me. I still thought it was the duck after all the other dishes had been served, and I asked my friend, "The chicken leh?", to his surprise really. LMAO.



The claypot rice with Chinese sausages tasted quite nice though. But it definitely was quite a big portion even for the 7 of us...


The pork came seperately. Chinese sausages were nice. The duck meat was kinda salty though. But still nice nonetheless.



I find the vegetable quite nice though. Might look pretty normal, but I kinda like it.



Finally the prawn noodle. It reminded me of the over-priced prawn noodle in Karak. But it surely tasted quite nice alright. The prawns were quite fresh indeed.



Indeed, the prawn noodle costed a bomb.

Overall, the dinner costed RM54 per person. Quite reasonable I think, maybe because it's pretty much as how I expected. But if you ask me if I'll ever go back there again, I'll think twice. Monetary factor mostly. I'm not cut out of high-end dining place like that. LOL.

10 Jujus:

William said...

Lou Sang is everywhere during CNY!

Reanaclaire said...

u mentioned a lot of "Quites" over here.. so i guess overall the price is also Quite reasonable.. guess it is the prawn noodles which make it more expensive..

Little Dove said...

Any Chinese restaurants would have lou sang, even simple ones like Kheng Heong Brickfields. Or DIY lou sang from the hypermarkets for a fraction of the price. :)

smallkucing said...

The "Sang Har Mee" usually will cost a bomb everywhere. This Spring Valley restaurant is quite good. You can actually get "Lou Sang" nearly everywhere during CNY. No need big restaurant

Lucas said...

So u lost ur Lou sang virginity eh... Congrats :) hehehe

Danny said...

we went there for lou-sang last year...
n we decided not to go back again...no need to share details.. but just not worth the money lo :))

deeperanddeeper said...

haiyu... how could that be your first lou sang?

the viennamese said...

Har.. Hakka people don't lousang one merhh?? o.O

Glad you had your chance this year tho. ;)

manglish said...

tsk tsk tsk stds these days are so rich haahaha

Gratitude said...

Nothing to do with being Hakka liao. Even our melayu and indian brothers in Peninsular "lou sang" these days :P
+Ant+