Sunday, July 13, 2008

On Visiting the Philharmonic

See, I came across this information on the net that there's a free admission to an organ recital at the Dewan Filharmonik Petronas the other day. But unfortunately, it was to coincide with the long-planned visit to my brother's college to see how he was doing. So I made some ammends, and decided to drive down to Nilai to pick him up, and come back to KL in time to catch the 1130a.m. show, and send him all the way back again. It's going to be a 2 hours driving trip to and from his place, and toll cost 4.70RM each trip. 4 hours on the road, I figured it'd be a good experience since we never really went there before. The other performance that I saw, even student price cost up to 85 bucks. Bloody slit throat if you ask me. So I wasn't going to let go this chance, recital it may be, it's the hall that I was interested in. Thank goodness both sis and bro said they're okay with it as well.

So I was asking around friends who went there before. Joshy: dress code- formal, night gown for female, blazer for male. Bibik said: No jeans, no slippers, office wear at the very least. So I made both sis and bro wearing formal the night before.

Left home at 730a.m. this morning to make sure we're back in KL around 1030a.m.. Bro's classmates who were waiting outside the college gate were watching us like we're from Neptune when we arrived. The heck? What were we doing in formal wears? *sniggering*

We finally arrived at the box office for the ticket collection about one hour before the show. Quite a lot of people queueing as well. But it was odd that none of them turned up in formal wears. So yeah, I actually felt kinda embarassed. When the brother found out it's actually an informal recital, I was already blushing as red as a red apple. Hey, I didn't know! The poster on the internet never said so.

Bibik who performed there found it odd. Even if it's not one of those formal concerts where long sleeve batik or lounge suits are required, but I did see people wearing 3-quarter pants!

Yes! My brother was laughing his head off! We overheard a lady behind us asking for a 3p.m. show, but only to be replied by the salesperson at the counter, "sorry ma'am, the show was all sold out. Maybe you can follow our free organ recital at 1130 a.m.?" And we all joked that when we got back to our friends, we'll just go like this.

Oh well, you know, the 3 pm show was sold out. We wanted to to watch that one initially. But since it was out before we even got to it, we were given a compensation to the free recital. It's just so odd you know, us so formal in suits and slacks. But anyways, we'd definitely visit again next time. Lesson learnt, book through phone. *cheeky smile*

Muahahaha. Thick-faced bunch we are. It's just a lame joke. Thing is, I even brought my blazer for Christ's sake!

I was expecting the hall to be grand, from the picture on the net and all. It's what I assumed to be what people think of Albert Hall in London, here in Malaysia. When we walked in, we see signs to 'box'es. Hmmm... boxes like, private boxes? Awesomeness. Since it was a free recital, we ended up in this box just in front of the stage. I suppose it'd cost an arm to sit here if it's a real performance. But the hall wasn't quite like how I expected. Maybe I've had imagined too much. I find it a bit small. The brother also thought so. But anyways, it's still a grandeur.

Anyways, the performance was called "Midsummer Murmers" by Dr. Marc Rochester, the resident organist of Dewan Filharmonik Petronas. The majestic Klais Pipe Organ it was too. Like whoa, the first visit and we get to see pipe organ performance. Quite some experience is all I'm saying. The organist entertained us with some songs, don't recall any names. The first cheerful song kept us up to beat, but only to be lullaby-ed when all the following songs were kinda, slow and soft.

Nope, I didn't fall asleep. But the siblings did. I think. Luckily it was just 30 minutes. Now if the YKLS are to perform here, I definitely would come, regardless the ticket price. Okay, maybe a bit over exaggerated, as long as it's not too outrageously dear for me larh. *sniggering* We came out laughing alright.

Bro: How many times did you fall asleep?
Me: I didn't.
Sis: Yeah right. You were closing your eyes. Both of you were.
Me: I didn't fish like you did.
Bro: I was closing my eyes to enjoy the music whole-heartedly.
Sis: Uhuh. Admit it that you guys were sleeping.
Me: Hey, the hall is not as big as I thought it would be.
Bro: Yeah! The picture we saw, it was like whoa, so huge.
Sis: Yea yea, changing the topic like always...

Muahahaha.

Needless to say, it was a good trip. I felt rich for an afternoon. *sniggering* And no doubt, the laughter to the lame jokes we had.

3 Jujus:

Darren said...

so artistic hor.:)

Legolas said...

Fall asleep to the organ?! How is that possible!

I only fall asleep to the cello, especially moody and slow pieces. They're made for sleeping.

Medie007 said...

silencer: LOL. i have the arty cells. huhuhu

legolas: no no, i didn't fall asleep at the organ. i stayed awake throughout the show. :D