Sunday, February 03, 2008

About the Things Me Craved For

Food... Me wants Kuching Foooood....

True enough, I'm pretty sure those who lived in Kuching for a period of time (but went away long enough to miss the place) would know what I mean when I say "Kuching Kolo Mee is the BEST noodle in the whole wide world!" Smacks me, but I don't really love spaghetti, or Kam Pua Mee, or Foochow cook, so I love Kolo Mee and Kolo Mee is all I ever wanted. *LMAO* Hands up, Kolo Mee fan!!!

Right. Now I remembered Western Malaysians never do understand when I say Kolo Mee is different from Wanton Mee you get over in the Penisular. Those who visited Kuching, and ate one bowl of Kolo Mee and claimed it tasted like Wanton mee, really, I'm so going to prove you wrong. You just have not lived long enough in the Cat city to taste what deliciously a dish it actually is. Yes, there is a stall in Meng Thien that sells "Kuching Kolo Mee", but when my parents visit during the pre-Christmas times, we all vote hands down that stall should just pack up and go wipe his ass, for that so called Kolo Mee he's selling, is SOOOOO NOT Kolo Mee. *LOL*

Aaaa-nyway
, we decided to dine out tonight. Bro was to meet his friends at the talk of the town. So the steamboat plan was postponed to tomorrow. But heck, there's the classmate gathering tomorrow night! As much as I wanted the family gathering doing steamboat in the lovely dining hall, I wanted to meet up with those five-eyed (Erm, five-eyed = my class) fellas after about one year not seeing them as well! So anyway, plans are settled, I hope, so back to my cravings.

Kuching-ites who travelled away from the city for a period of time, I'm pretty sure would want to get their mouths on Kolo Mee. So yeaps, I asked that the rest of us get our butts to some place where Kolo Mee is still served. And walah, I finally satisfy my cravings... It's chopstick lickin' good! *LMAO*



Well, it'll be pretty much unfair if I just feature solely on Kolo Mee right? Therefore, I'm going to do some other features as well.

2) Siu-mai. Definitely DIFFERENT from the siu-mai in Penisular. Not quite sure anyone else would be as siu-mai crazed as myself, but my mum knows I'm crazy about this local delight as well. "Ho Chiak" of 8TV featured this once. The so-called mother branch existed in the first ever "market place" since the Brooke era, and has survived for ages. And for that, it's undeniable that this is irresistable. Okay okay, so maybe I made up the "from the Brooke era" facts, I'm just crapping, but seriously, if you ever do drop by in the city, don't miss out the ones they claimed as "Kuching OpenAir Market Siu Mai", it's all over the city, really.

3) Sarawak Laksa. Irresistable. I tried the Sarawak Laksa from Laksa Shack once. They do have the taste, but it's still a bit different. Again, Western Malaysians would've compared this dish to the "Prawn Mee" over in the west, I wouldn't deny that alright, as they do really tasted quite alike. However though, nothing beats the hometown food. Nursing ex-classmate in Singapore even bought the laksa paste and brought it back to Singapore. That's the extend when I mean we do crave for delish from our hometown.

Well, as Sis and I will be going back by the end of next week, and that we don't really have any time left to dine out after tonight, I went a step further by (asking Dad to) ordering local Satay and Ikan Bakar. Nothing really special alright. Just that, Dad's paying, and nothing else matters. *LMAO* Okay okay, just kidding. We just wanted to sit around a little bit longer, and we had so many things to chat about. School. Life. Friends. The Girl. The Guy. Housemates. Cars. KL.

Well, there. The 3 foods I strongly recommend you to try if you were ever in the city. Ask me for the best stalls, I will give you the directions. *LOL* Perhaps again though, only those who are living away appreciate them as much as I do. Seriously. My mum never understands why I love the siu-mai very much. But they do get I'm siu-mai crazed.

By the way, the Kolo Mee is non-halal. *sniggering*

9 Jujus:

Anonymous said...

nothing beats a fine laksa sarawak in it's own place la of course. eventhough I still prefer kampua mee, I still think kolo mee is far better than wantan mee which is sooooo not kolo mee.

You from kuching ka?

Zyklon22 said...

Kolo me got difference? My family always calls it kolo mee since I was small. I tot it was our own weird language for diff chinese names.

Little Dove said...

Dear Ah-Bong,

All the delicious pictures made me hungry again…and I just had my dinner not too long ago! Kolo Mee is filling, cheap (probably the cheapest in whole M’sia) and delicious. Wanton Mee is totally different from Kolo Mee. I have yet to find Kolo Mee in KL. Nothing beats it! *raise my hands up*

The famous “fat and white” siu mai sold at pasar (near Elektra House) along with the famous soybean milk? Mmm…makes my mouth water.

Medie007 said...

haha cibol, been living in kch for a long period of time before, that's how i come to know kolo mee is far far far better than wanton mee :P

zyklon, i'm not quite sure what' kolo mee actually means, but true enough kuching kolo mee is different from any place else. :P

little dove! welcome! hehehehe... i presume u're from kch also hor? hohoho... :P siu mai rulezzz! :D

Little Dove said...

Hi Ah-Bong,

Medic student eh? Must be a genius. :)

I am not from Kuching. I have been drifting from one place to another. Stayed long enough in Kuching to appreciate its beauty and wonderful things.

Medie007 said...

i c i c :P true enuff then, ure here long enuff to tell i'm right tat kolo mee is nice :D

Cyclohelix said...

OMG, KOLO MEE, how i missed em :P and also the sio bee :D Well, Happy CNY to ya James Bond. I just got back to my hometown today ^^

Medie007 said...

kolo mee kolo mee... :P

TZ said...

i know where to get Kolo mee in KL :->