Thursday, February 14, 2008

About the Grand Birthday during CNY

Somehow, our idea of such celebrations, had turn from buying candies and cookies and spring cleaning and red packets, to family gathering. So, be it at home, or somewhere else, we just wanted to be together during this festive season. And that's how, the family decided to celebrate CNY over here in KL/PJ. We were holding on to the idea that Mum and Dad and Lil Bro would be flying over, until Mum told me over the phone one night that, we'll be celebrating Grandma's birthday during the one week break over the CNY. Gasps! It's just one month away, flight tickets would cost half a body!



my children... my grandchildren... my great grand children! Where are you?

But anyway, we did manage to get our arses back to our home sweet home. One week break from those books alright. Paternal Grandma's birthday. How fun! Mum was saying, the direct family would be there. So all the uncles and aunties, and cousins and those little nieces and nephews. Yeap, I have nieces and nephews! And that makes Grandma erm, a great grandma! *sniggering* Uncle from Brunei will be home, cousin from Selangor and Penang would fly over too. And the ones in Singapore coming back as well! It was going to be such a huge birthday bash! Even more, we heard that Grandpa also invited the 2nd cousins, those from the suburbs who I'm not even sure. There would be so many Bong-sss!

So, anyway... We did a huge bash this year as it would be grandma's 81st birthday. Yeaps yeaps yeaps. Long live grandma! Well, shameful to say, I wasn't as close to my paternal grandma compared to my late maternal grandma. But, I am glad she's still alive. At least there's still someone to hold the big family together; someone's place where the huge-arse reunion dinner would be held every year; some strong reason we're still gathering. I mean, well, grandpa is still around, 92 and still kicking. And for that, I thank God our reunion dinner from 2 years ago, was, and still is, and hopefully will be for another decade, a gathering of 4 generations.

Grandma isn't as well as grandpa. She fell sometime ago. And she was not able to walk around on her own. She was lying on the bed for a long time before eldest aunt came and stay and scolded her. At least, she's able to walk around with the aid of the walking stand now. Her legs underwent hypotrophy. Health wise, there's a lot of problems as well. And erm. Well. I have no idea what's wrong with her. Mum told me about the problems she faced. Unstable blood pressure. Recurrent hypoglycemic. Is it even diabetes melitus?



my children... my grandchildren... my great grand children! there you are!
Anyway.... She seemed to be very happy we're home this festive season. Mum said she was always asking when would me and sis be home. And we could see that she's very delighted to see us. However though, during the reunion dinner, she wasn't sitting together with her grandchildren or her great grandchildren for any matter. But she was delighted the house was as noisy and crowded like never before. Partly I'd say, we're all not as close to her. But I do know, we respect her. As the elder, as the 2nd head. *LMAO* Brunei uncle was planning to go travelling this CNY, but when eldest aunt knew about it, she scolded him and make sure he's home with his entire family. Her reason, grandma missed him and wanted him home.

So... for the one week we were anticipating for the birthday bash, I didn't asked mum as to when exactly it was going to be. It was after reunion dinner then that I asked mum why no one brought up about it. To my great dismay... Sunday noon. *faints*

It was a great miss for sure. Grandma's 81st... Urgh! Blergh! Argh!


The morning before our flight, we dropped by at grandma's place. We took a photo with her and grandpa, the great family portrait. *sniggering* Shook hands, and wished her "Happy Birthday" in Hakka. Nope, I'm not really a good speaker, but I attempted. All the adults there were laughing. Even grandma herself was laughing.

And so we left for the airport...

5 Jujus:

Jason said...

aiyo, should post them in order la... need to jump around like froggie meh. :p

Ganymede said...

Wah lau! 81 siot!

Medie007 said...

jason ar.. i was just blogging abt the event lar.. tooooooo many things happened in that one week. :P

QR.. yeaps yeaps yeaps 81!

mstpbound said...

awww! my grandma just turned 80! :)

Medie007 said...

oo blimey! happy birthday to her too! Haha