Monday, December 17, 2007

Elective

There's an elective programme after our finals next year, for about 4 weeks starting the end of May till June. Dr Tan asked if I wanted to follow her group overseas. They're going to Taiwan. Or erm, the last time I heard they were. I have no idea what their decision are now though. But I sort of told them I had some crisis and told her I can't join her group. So, I'll be staying for the holidays with my housemies at UMMC. But then again, if all things go well (namely passing all the freaking farking exams), we actually came to agreement we would go to Europe for our end of year 4 elective. How nicey! Czech, Paris, Rome... Can't wait... but then again, that's only IF I pass all those exams..

Back to the elective... We went to the hospital to look for clinicians. My Buddy suggested clinical inclination since I told her I don't want to do bugs or worms. Pathologist Dr Mn has gotten 4 groups under herself already. Apparently, most of the other groups are so the kiasu they went to look for their supervisor the very day we had our elective briefing. I on the other hand, was still in dillema whether to betray housemies and go satisfy my own hunger of travelling. But yea, I decided to just stay local, get familiar with the clinical stuff before Klang.

We approached Dr. S earlier this morning. It was so fun to actually met him alright. He's very friendly, and he said he would come up with a research project topic. And for a neurosurgeon, you can guess what actually interests him. He said something about brain or blaaa I didn't understand, but we just nodded our heads saying we're fine with everything. Everything went smoothly until he asked, when are we going to do our elective. "May till June 2008". And that's when everything started to crumble... "Oh dear... I might not be sure I could." Well, unfortunately, Dr. S applied for PhD to the UK, and attended all the interviews and such, so he said should he receive an acceptance letter, he'll leave. And, for the fact that we didn't have a backup plan, he said he would maybe pass us to his colleague if he leave, but his colleague is an Indian fella. Not being racist, but we had some bad experiences with Indian male doctors, what's more, a surgeon. Sure enough it would be hell.

After class, we decided to look for another clinician. Maybe someone who is sure he'll be around till then. Of total, we approached a few... Someone in our minds we know, or someone our buddies recommended. We approached a few, but all were only in vain: Dr. Nephrologist who took me for rounds last week, but unfortunately he had taken some other group; Prof. Neuro-Head who declined us, he's too busy I supposed; Prof. Endoscopy, but we couldn't reach him. There's a doctor who was in the same elevator as us while we went look for Dr. Nephrologist. We would've approached him if YL told us earlier he was one of ML's doctors when she was admitted to hospital. We thought of approaching a few cardiologist consultants as well, but were a bit intimidated, although we were pretty sure they don't bite.

After about 1 hour walking around, we finally looked for another doctor in neurology. And we're now settled with Dr. L.

Oooh, by the way, still need to tell Dr. S about Dr. L... Their office were like, same floor, next door... *OMFG!*

8 Jujus:

savante said...

Ah, going to Taiwan. Seems like a tradition for the chinese-ed in UM.

Hey it's a break. Don't do a difficult elective. Take it easy. I did radiology in melbourne.

Medie007 said...

me dun feel like going overseas... that's even IF i can get to do elective anyway...

David The Man said...

eh... you get to cut up dead people like Dr. Paul ar? Eeee... Geli lah... But anyway, med in UM was my first choice when applying under UPU, apparently, I didn't get good grades and they bonged me to Sabah Uni to do some Business Info Management. Don't know what the hell that course was! Anyway, I enrolled myself in Kolej Bandar Utama to study Bachelor of Engineering Electronics and Computing, doing 2+1 course, with final year in Nottingham UK. A year later, I did my Masters in Liverpool UK. Now, that's how I ended up being an engineer.

Anonymous said...

di, really don't want me to ask my fren's mum? she is famous is pathology and will definitely give u a good training ;-)

btw, are you interested to know where I got all my degrees? should I list down?

TC, the bitch

Medie007 said...

david: a little bit of self intro?! wakakaka

gor: duwan lar, i already gotten her for my CFCS group... besides, someone approached her dy, and she dunno anything abt elective also... :P

joshua said...

I completed my last elective(s) by...

1. Saving turtles + their eggs in Redang.

2. Conquering Mt. Kinabalu

3. Nephrology, Radiology, Paediatrics and Orthopaedics in Penang.

4. Seoul National University - like OMG, their teaching hospitals look like the Gardens/Pavilion ok!

Therefore I had NO CUTI-CUTI RANTAU ASIA last sem =(

erm, why Taiwan? Not recognised by W.H.O., sadly.

Paul, I have heard of countless UKM Med people wanting to do elective in Taiwan as well.

joshua said...

apa itu CFCS btw?

Medie007 said...

eeee.. so nice... Korea!

CFCS= community family case studies... a programme where we're attached to a patient and we'll go follow up the family and see how the family copes with it...