Monday, May 23, 2011

On the Sultan Something Run 2011

Actually this is what happened in Kuala Kangsar. It was Sultan of Perak's Birthday and he organized a running event. I didn't thought it would be a grand one, probably something like Bidor's. But the turnout rate was pretty amazing.

Runners from all over Perak, some Taiping runners club, some Ipoh Roadrunners... all those. You got to tell by the way how all these runners come wearing the same shirt bearing the clubs they're from. But it surely did looked like they're really experienced runners. I bet 14km wasn't a problem to them at all. And I thought it would probably be for me.

Come 7.10am, the royalty arrived. The runners clapped and cheered. From where I stood, you can actually see numerous camera held up and zoomed towards the small patio where the Raja Muda was standing. And before things got further delayed, the flag off took place at exactly 7.10am. sharp.

So the run was 14km. The day before, I just had a small thought that I might not wanna run anymore. Not sure why. Perhaps because we spent the entire day walking around in Ipoh under the hot sun and man, that place was HOT! And it was only during our way to Kuala Kangsar that, "SHIT! I FORGOT TO BRING MY RUNNING SHOES!"

But thankfully, my friend had his shoes on, and like it or not, even though his shoes doesn't really fit me perfectly, I borrowed anyways.

It was a tiring run really. Went up to the big underused bridge, go up to the palace, and into some residential area. The coolness dispersed at 8 in the morning and we were practically running under the scorching sun. It didn't help that, I was all wet in the first 3km, that I was just pushing myself forward until I saw the next water station.

But at least one thing worth mentioning, after the first station where the 7km runners were also sharing, the 3 stations after that provided Gatorade, a type of sports drink to replenish the electrolyte lost, in cans some more! Totally understood the same thing happened in Energizer Night Race before where the runners threw all the cans on the middle of the road, which poses as a risk to the other runners. But somehow, runners on that day were so civilized, they lined up the cans properly on the curbside.

Anyways... As predicted, despite I tried running, I was panting as if I've got asthmatic attack, and walked for about 2km in between... And I couldn't reach the finishing line within the qualifying time of 1 hour 40 minutes. I hit halfway at 1 hour, but after that I just lost it. My pace slowed down... And it didn't really help that, when I thought it was ending, the arrow pointed to a different directions! Some of the cadet army who participated was heard complaining as well. It was just like a never ending run. Or walk.

But at last... I crossed over the finishing banner at 1 hour 57 minutes, when the prize giving ceremony for the top runners were already taking place. And with that, I think I didn't get any certificate as well.

Headed to the goodie bag collection booth. All those who finished the 14km were entitled finishing T-shirt. But it was a surprise too, that a finisher medal was inside the bag. YAY! And I thought only those who finished it before the cut off time would get the medal. But anyways, I kinda like the goodies that came along, nothing much, but at least nothing nonsense. No vouchers whatsoever. And they gave a sports water bottle too. Weee!~

Now that I realized 14km is half killing me, I've still got a 15km run and a 21km run lined up next couple of months. Die...

4 Jujus:

Small Kucing said...

I was wondering why u were in K.Kangsar in the other post. Oohhh for the run. Going to aim for all states?

Robinn T said...

nice!!! got finishing medal when you thought you don't! wonder if i can get them in the men's health run

Gratitude said...

The 3km is sap sap sui for you then ;)
+Ant+

[SK] said...

haha!!! running but forgotten your running shoes?? hmmm, that's interesting, haha!! so meaning everyone actually gets the medal lor??