Monday, March 14, 2011

On the Painful Nipple

This is such a long overdue post due to the long list of scheduled post... BUT... in any case, yes, I do mean painful nipple literally. Especially after running or doing cardio work out for more than an hour. The whole shirt would be wet, tiring, but definitely euphoric. Once the shirt is took out, OwEmGee!!! Them nipples hurt like mad! So painful I didn't even dare to touch them. They were all red and were so erected they're literally swollen! For a more descriptive post, I actually blogged about it 2 years ago! LOL. But now that it's starting to bug me again, I thought I'd just went online to do some research.

Guess what... Seems like I'm not the only person to have such problem.

And one of the reply to that was from a personal trainer named Drew.


Hi there,

I am a personal trainer and have over 20 years of experience in the fitness field. I have good news, this is normal. You don't have a sickness, disease or anything like that. Basically when you exercise, and sweat is absorbed into your clothes making them wet, you bare chest rubs against it. The constant friction of the damp sweaty shirt causes your nipples to peak. Over extend period of time they become more and more irritable.

I freaked out when this first happen to me too! I went to a doctor, who I am close with, and we had a nice little laugh over it. It is 100% normal, your nipples are just sick of rubbing against your shirt!

I deal with it, but sometimes when I know I am going to exercise for a while and it might become very irritable I do the following:

1. Wear clothes that cling to your chest. This holds your nipples in place so there is no friction. I wear Under-Armor, but there are tons of other brands at your local store.

2. It sounds stupid, but it works. Bandaids. Get the water proof ones so when you sweat they stay in place.

3. Wear a normal undershirt and tuck it in. Tuck it VERY tight, as if you were wearing something equal to step one.

The only way to stop this is to cut the friction or eliminate it all together. I hope this helps and keep up the good work!


Not quite entirely sure how true it all is, but I suppose it's quite logical. LOL.

Now now... Perhaps it's a sign I get those Nike tights? But my tummy would show! :(

9 Jujus:

Pike-chan said...

I always wonder.. why do guys have nipples since males don't lactate, lols

Anonymous said...

get sports bra, they do have for flat chesties too :D
Vaseline does wonders :P

Danny said...

err.. never have this prob before lo.. ;p

Gratitude said...

Piko-chan, perhaps you haven't tried squeezing? lolz

Bravebear said...

Now I know... I experienced the same thing too especially after a rough workout. Topless a better choice? LOL...

Medie007 said...

piko: cuz men pierce their nipples? :P

anon: yeah it's all frictions. get that in the inner part of the arm and legs when u run marathons too.

danny: good lor... ur nipple so strong one...

grat: eeeww! hahaha they've already tried biting and sucking.

bear: @.@ i'm confused... with bear and piko. lol. yeah go topless. i prefer to sit at the side if u go topless. :P exercise of the eyes.

[SK] said...

really first time i heard about nipple pain.. maybe you want to consider using nipple tape~~ :p

petalingrunner said...

I get this too whenever I run the distance of 20KM and above. Easy way to fix this issue. Get some sort of waterproof tape and tape it over during the run. Becareful during the peeling though it can be a painful affair. As for chafing on the legs, I usually use those skintight 'performance' thighs. :)

the viennamese said...

Oooer. Bandaids. Would be quite embarrassing to take the shirt off in the locker room though. Lols.