Monday, November 22, 2010

On the Death on Penang Bridge International Marathon

This is the latest news I think everyone should know. There was a death during the marathon that was not reported.

See, during the run, I didn't mentioned in my post yesterday that it started to rain cats and dogs halfway into the run on the bridge. Knowing myself, I thought it would be cool to snap photos during the run, especially since I'd be running on the bridge. So with the iPod blasting some Kylie's and the phone getting ready for some shots of the bridge, it started raining.

The first few drops felt as though it was just going to be a small drizzle. So I didn't pay much attention, until about 5 minutes later when I thought the rain getting heavier and heavier. So the main concern was the phone as compared to the iPod. Luckily I had a plastic cover which was earlier used to keep the timing chip. Thinking I was smart enough not to throw the plastic bag away, I happily placed the phone into the plastic bag, in the hope it would survive the rain.

But as I came down from the bridge, and wanted to check on my time, the phone threw a hissy fit. It was vibrating non-stop, yet the screen was empty. I tried to click on it again, still the same response. So I took out the battery and tried to restart it again, since there were similar epilepsy before, but somehow, this treatment didn't help this time round.

Thinking it was probably the rain water sipping into the plastic bag, I thought I'd just leave it until I finish the race, and then only I would dry it and see it functioning again. But the heart just couldn't stay calm, remembering it's the only mean of communication I have in a distant land. After the race, I tried to resuscitate the phone again, but it was all in vain.

I didn't know how to get back to the hotel. I was supposed to buzz my friend after my run so that we could arrange for a common pick up place, but with the phone dead, I have no way to call him! And I have zero money, so I couldn't even call the cab. And no coins, but even if I had, I didn't remember the phone number. So I was totally dumbstruck. My feet hurting, my groin burning. I slowly crawled to the place where I was dropped off, and decided to borrow a phone from the scouts, inserting my own sim card and called.

All day long, despite the phone already dried, it remained lifeless. Even when I tried to insert the charger wire to the phone without the battery, there was no sign of life...

And to have the phone just for 7 months, I have to admit I'm one hell of a person who take things for granted. *sobs*

8 Jujus:

Twilight Man said...

200 fellas missed their flights due to the jam to airport. The NKVE jam was even worse from Bidor till KL and your phone went dead. RIP.
What an event to remember.

Reanaclaire said...

gosh.. is it still under warranty? my nokia is also vibrating non stop for 2 /3 times already these days, i took out the battery, re-inserted back then ok liow.. i told my frens.. dont ever buy the model i m using.. it vibrates non stop one!!

Gratitude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gratitude said...

handphone as emo as the owner hor! rofl
+Ant+

[SK] said...

i think the PBIM really caused lots of "death" - massive jam, missed flights.. :D

ladycooper said...

Salute to all that Marathon finisher. You guys are simply awesome.

Is time to enjoy now and take a look at some PBIM 2010 runners pictures

http://on.fb.me/dzox6L
http://on.fb.me/dnJfxZ
http://on.fb.me/8YA0pW.

More pictures coming up soon.

TZ said...

So how are you going to bury your death phone?
Btw, it's time to get another new phone; how about iPhone 4?

Chuckie Cotton said...

You shouldnt turn in on, tell u, u need to soak it in dry rice for a few days, the rice will help absorb the water in the phone, it works on phone though.