Wednesday, September 08, 2010

On the Tinge of Patriotism

I wouldn't say I'm a very proud patriot. But I'm sure like anyone else, when I was overseas, irregardless of how much we emphasize on our own race in this country, I'll still say I am a "MALAYSIAN". So with that in mind, I suppose, deep inside, all of us still have this tiny tinge of patriotism in ourselves. We are after all, born a Malaysian. Like it or not, it's still our home.



So the story went like this. I was planning for a trip down to S'pore not long ago. Decided to contact this online friend whom I haven't met for a while. He's quite a proud Singaporean, in a way. And he's the type who thinks Taiwan surpasses England. And he makes pilgrimage to Bangkok once in three months. So in a way, I suppose you can call him a rice queen. And yes, he's "rainbow". With attitude, on top of it.

And halfway chatting, I felt myself boiling...

".... anyway... it is sad to be run by a bunch of brainless donkeys. I was in KL about a year ago... was surprise to see how backward it is. The mono rail was a joke. Nothing cyber about cyber jaya... Cannot believe... when changing mono rail... have to cross the street... and the rail ... so old and slow. I could not believe it.. been to many rail systems... the one in KL is the only one I know that has to cross the road to change line.... one of my KL friend says... the malaysian wants to be special that is why they did it this way. hahaha. What a lame excuse..."

Initially I agreed with him. Somewhat. But as he criticise more and more, I started to feel annoyed. I didn't argue back. He's got some points there. But somehow, I still felt angry with the way he made fun of the country. OUR country.

Luckily though, he ended abruptly saying he needed to go somewhere. Else I'm sure we'd ended up in a huge row already.

I don't know about you, but despite how much I'm not satisfied with certain things, it's still a beautiful country, and we're still born here, and we're still Malaysians.

Kuala Lumpur sunrise - Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur

Following that incident, of course I refused to meet up with him in the end in Singapore. Went about down town with my MALAYSIAN friend. And we had fun, taking photos, eating and hiking. And I came back, feeling KL still better. LOL.

And months later, about two weeks back, revenge time arrived...


to be continued...

photos courtesy of: KL.

7 Jujus:

Reanaclaire said...

waiting to read your sequel.. how u got your revenge.. lol...

Shingo T said...

Born in Malaysia and brought up in Singapore, I think of Malaysia as my natural parent, and Singapore as my adopted parents.

Singapore made me practical, while Malaysia kept me down to earth.

Anyway, every country has their own sets of problems. As with religions, I don't think it's appropriate for anyone to condemn other people's country.

I always sit on the fence, don't take sides, and always try to counter any anger with rationalism.

And ya, looking fwd to hear part 2 too. ^_^

William said...

Well, every country has their fair share of complaints.

Danny said...

i totally support u :)
revenge? something about 'water'?

[SK] said...

oh, well, singaporeans~~~

TZ said...

Why break your story into 2 parts... So what next?

Twilight Man said...

Now I see your 1st part. LOL