Tuesday, September 01, 2009

On Getting Gifts

I always wonder how I picked gifts for my parents during their birthdays. I used to be the one who made the cards. Who planned to get them cakes. Or to get them little gifts. That was all when I was younger in secondary school.

Most of the time, they'd just say, why waste so much money? I don't need all these gifts...

And I remembered I got Dad this pen holder.

And I got a memo holder for Mum.

What's all these for really?

Somehow, after I left for university, and my brother leaving the country soon, it downed to me, no one will be buying them gifts anymore. After I left for university, I've gotten busy with God knows what. I don't even wanted to call home. I don't even wanted to go home. And my sis was the one who had been trying to tie me back and get me to go home most of the times. The brother had since then become the one who get Mum gifts during Mothers' Day or her birthday. We still get Dad something occasionally. We get him shirts since he was forever so stingy with his own wardrobe.

But really, what are all these gifts for when they're bought just for the sake of remembering one's one year older?

For once, I wished they're actually living in KL. Going out shopping is so fun. Putting aside that Dad's the one paying for all our purchases, it's always fun to pick clothes for both the fussy parents. Makes me old. I look short. My tummy shows. Too young for my age. All sorts of reasons would be thrown out.

But when there's finally one that fits their comfort and satisfaction, they wear it over and over and over and over and keeps on repeating who chose the shirt again and again.

I always wonder how come men nowadays don't dress as lavish as Englishmen in Victorian...

12 Jujus:

manglish said...

i went thru the same not-wanting-to-go-back period in my life :) but it is over now and i get to go to sunway pyramid with them for meals and choose their birthday presents, most of the time i prefer to give them the ultimatum -cash! and they can do whatever they like :)

Twilight Man said...

A nice "Food For Thoughts" post! I also used to buy this and that for my old ones. Honestly, they just pretended to like it and stashed them away to grow maggots in the cupboards. Like you, i also wished they are here in KL but no. So, I learnt to accept life and its destiny naturally. The best gift you can give them is telling them you scored "A" for every exams. So when is our next makan-makan?

MiChi said...

this is parents. We just have to show our love without thinking of any response, that way we'll feel better.

Medie007 said...

manglish, i'm sure cash would always be easier, less hassle and all. but i like ur idea of going to the mall and let them choose their presents. i wished i could do that more often. kinda like shopping with them. :P and especially getting them to try on all sorts of clothes that i picked for them. mum was so delighted. lol.

twilight, thanks. didn't know it's a food for thoughts. lol. scoring "A" in my exam is kinda like... nah, i'm not so smart... i'm just barely surviving all these while, and in the recent case, didn't survive at all. :( makan-makan could always be planned. but i thought u're always the busy one. with work and move and all. anyways, just gimme a holler if there's one .;)

michi, haha. nah, i didn't expect any response. parents will always be happy whenever their kids give them something, i mean something nice at least. i like to see their reactions sometimes. :P

Danny said...

cos men nowadays a too busy making money...;p

i think parents just want us to spend more time with them.. than getting gifts.. ( i'm reminding myself as well..;P )

Pranny said...

These are call old fashioned parents.. They give their children the best.. and they could use the worst and don't even need anything good... They jus need their kids...

Well I have a mother like that... All she wants is my time... Lol

said...

i remember when i was small, i dun really like to go shopping with my mum, coz she and my sister will be hanging around for a very very very long time~ lolz...

foongpc said...

I don't think our parents want us to give them gifts. All they want is our love and care and that we appreciate them. It's better to spend quality time with your parents than buying gifts for them : )

Gratitude said...

Alwiz remember when Mom said that her perfect birthday gift wuz the wonderful pecks on her cheek on the morning of her birthday.
+Ant+

Medie007 said...

danny... keep on reminding urself. :P go back to klang more often lor. or drive ur parents down to kl and spend more times together lo. ;)

Jerry, love that last sentence u pulled there. ;) then spend more time with her. :D ooh, shouldn't say that now should i... encourage u to come back more when ur Papa Twinkle told u not to. LOL

Leu, not sure abt u, but i find it fun picking up blouses for them. make them the models. wakakaka

Medie007 said...

foongpc, true. but sometimes, we're too tied down with our own stuff as well. so i guess the best thing to do is to call them when u've got free time to tell them at least they're always in ur thoughts.

Gratitude, that's cute... though I think it would be most awkward if i give my mum a peck. :P

Ken Wooi said...

after uni, i wanna go back home! =P

and some parents, especially mine, wouldnt mind if i dont get them presents.. well, maybe a dinner.. =)

kenwooi.com