Saturday, April 04, 2009

On Staying on for ASNA Conference

Continuation of this.

Day 3 was a total disappointment of me. Must've been due to the lack of sleep the night before when I headed over to the Curve on my way back, and erm, well, had dinner with someone till midnight, that by the time I got back and finished blogging, it was wee hours of the morning. Had only 2 hours of sleep before I drove to the conference again.

So yeah, you can imagine what I've got for doing what I did.

African Sleeping Sickness apparently. Was trying real hard to stay awake. Went to the restroom more than once in half an hour just to get myself moving and staying awake. But once I sat back down inside the conference hall, my eye lids got heavier and heavier. *slap slap* I was really angry at myself for missing all the opportunity given, especially when infections is one of the main blocks today, of which I pledged to learn something from. To which of course, was just an empty promise.

After lunch, and after realizing I wouldn't do any good for myself staying inside the conference hall, I decided to exit and take a breather on the corridor outside. Not that it's empty or anything. Pharmaceutical booths are all set up with the aims of promoting their key products in relevance to neurology.

Therefore, there are all the drugs that are claimed to help patients of different diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. There are also some post-stroke drugs and stuff like that.

The past two days, I walked past all these booths without stopping down and take a look. There are a lot of freebies. Pens and notebook and stuff like that. Managed to get some for my own on the 2nd day too.

Me: Is that a mousepad?
Sales: Yes doctor, feel free and take one.
Me: Thanks!


Sales: Might as well take some of these too.

And I have no idea what it actually is. Looks like some mug-pad or something.

Anyways, I decided to be nice and more interactive today. So after talking to the booths of post-stroke and Alzheimer's, I stopped by one of which was known to me as ACE-inhibitor, a common drug for high blood pressure. And the only relation I could think of, was that it's also another drug meant for post-stroke patients.

Sales guy came out and started talking to me about the drugs. And me asking this and that.

Sales: So doctor, you're from?
Me: Erm... I'm under UM.
Sales: Oh... yes... University Hospital. So which department are you from?
Me: Well... I'm currently with internal medicine.
Sales: Oh. Okay okay. Anyways, I'm sure you heard about this drug. Yada yada.
Me: Of course... It's one of the common one. Have seen a lot, even in the clinic last time.
Sales: True.
Me: So I presume you guys are here to promote this drug for post-stroke patients?
Sales: Correct. Well, mainly for the prevention of stroke recurrence.


So wrong in so many levels I know. But my answers pertaining to where I'm from and what department I'm with, it's the truth!

Sales: Doctor, since you're here, do you want to take part in our quiz? We'll give you a free gift if you answer correctly.
Me: Huh?
Sales: We will still give you the gift anyway. We'll help you with the answer, so that we won't waste much of your time.
Me: Erm. Okay.


And that's how I was given this.

Sales: Well, next time whenever you sign your chequebook you'll be reminded of our drugs lor.
Me: Haha, it's already such a common brand in the healthcare. Pretty much one of the most-used for treatment of hypertension already.
Sales: True, but we still hope for even more widely usage.
Me: Sure sure.


Cheque-book. Like uh...

I think I'll just give it to my Dad.

And now I wonder which is the booth that gives the umbrella.

9 Jujus:

Paul Figaro J said...

yeah..umbrella more practical

Twilight Man said...

Hey doc2b I want umbrella!!! Get 2 and gimme 1 ok. You should sweep all their freebies and give your friends okei.

V said...

cheque book as a freebie??

first time hearing such things~

TZ said...

hehehe... I don't mind to have the cheque book cover as a small gift from you ... but if you have umbrella... I would like the umbrella ... I could start singing and dancing with the some Umbrella ... errrrr... blek!

Danny said...

so smart huh? can get whatever u need from the booth...

Medie007 said...

Paul, i didn't find out where the umbrella is from lor... :(

twilight zone, i didn't have one myself. :(

queen B, it's a cheque book holder. not the cheque book lah. :P

Medie007 said...

TZ, i'll give you some pens la. hahahahahahahh. cheque book holder is for my dada. hehehe

danny, not really convenient enough lor. if only they have jackets. :P

Sam said...

Oh wow, doctors get free stuffs to!? How fun! :D

CommonBoy said...

Ahaha i can see the the word Conversyl~~ LoL.. I think even those uncles and aunties also know what conversyl is for.. LoLz.. I also want an umbrella.. Hehehe