Thursday, April 23, 2009

On Being Grateful for Turning 22

For each new morning with its light, for rest and shelter of the night,
for health and food, for love and friends, for everything thy goodness sends.
When you are grateful fear disappears and abundance appears.
____________________________

Let me introduce you to this friend of mine.

Due to patient confidentiality, I shall not tell you his name. He is 21 years old this year, was unfortunate to be born with cerebral palsy. We're not sure what type of cerebral palsy he has, but it seems like he hasn't been growing.

He isn't able to talk. And the only words that comes out from his mouth is "Aaah ahhh". But his mother said he was able to understand commands. That when they told her to go to sleep after he finished his lunch, he would. That when they say goodbye to him before leaving for work, he would look at them with his teary eyes.

He isn't able to walk. But he drags himself on his butt. His limbs are really wasted, as in, you can basically see all the bones underneath the skin. His mother told us that he hasn't been putting on any weights for the last few weeks. She even showed us his identification card, and he was such a handsome young man in that picture.

But there he was, lying on the bed, looking at us and wanting so much to talk, but unable to. At 21, he is basically just the age of a 2 years old. We asked his mother if she ever noticed him growing. He did. At the age of two, he was basically still a baby. But they moved house, and he grew larger. But he never seemed to grow any bigger for the past few years.

We asked a question seemingly cruel to some, did his doctor ever tell her how long he's going to live? And she said she doesn't know. She doesn't care either. She will take care of him no matter what. That she never could leave him with a special kid care centre, after all he is her son as much as his other siblings are.

We salute her on the spot. And we salute him for being so strong.

And I came back thinking about us. About me. How grateful I should be! That I'm born normal. That I'm able to talk and walk. And able to drive a car and go out every other evenings dining outside. To have parents and siblings who love me more than their lives. To have friends who care and share the joy and laughter with. To have everything I wanted. To have been accepted into a medical school and last but not least, to come to know many more doctors in the making who ended up as close as my siblings, living through hardship and pressure together.

We never really think about that do we? We always took it forgranted.

And I know I'm just talking about myself.

But here I am, at the age of 22, I solemnly thank everyone and everything for what I have. My family. My friends, especially my brothers and my sisters in arms. my groupmembers and my housemates. My education, my school. My life. My car, my gadgets. My shoes and ties. My blog (and all the good friends I meet through Medielicious, and you my buddy). And everything I ever had and have and will have. I'm grateful for what you all have given me. And I'm really touched that you have all been part of my life. One way or another. Without you, I'm not who I am today. Thank you. Very very much. Thank you...

It's my birthday today. It's also the day Shakespeare passed away.

______________________
Be thankful for what you have;
you'll end up having more.
If you concentrate on what you don't have,
you will never, ever have enough.

26 Jujus:

said...

oh my~
i think everyone should appreciate wat we have now...

May God help this kid and hope he can have his health soon

TZ said...

Happy birthday dude ... errrrrr... let me think how i celebrated my 22nd birthday ... :p

I hope the kids in your entry get well soon...

Sam said...

Happy 22nd birthday sweetie! Now just one more year to go before you turn 23 - enjoy it while you can! *hugs*

Paul Figaro J said...

ohh so today is ur birthday......happy birthday baby...

Twilight Man said...

Your birthday talk seems to run for days! Happy Birthday again.

Sze Yin said...

ah bong! Suprise! Happy 22nd birthday!

This is the first time i'm giving a comment here. I nearly shed tears when i read about the poor little guy. May God bless him...

yeah, recently i keep on complaining about how much i hate exams and one of my friends told me, "Think about those poor or sick kids that never have the chance to go to schools..."

The greatest blessing in life is when u feel grateful and contented with what u have.

xoxo,
Yin

Medie007 said...

Thank you guys. and girl. :D

ps: patient admitted due to choking. now discharged already.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Ah Bong! *giggles*

At times when we think that we are unfortunate, we think about those less fortunate than us. And it makes us fell fortunate again. The greatest thing to have in life is not money or diamonds or jimmy choos (although a pair would be nice.. hee hee), but to have a golden heart like yours. Today is your birthday. Be merry, happy and ghei..

lotsa lurve..

Pranny said...

Did I say I would come back in 2 days?? Oh yea.. The day is finally here haha... Hope u have a nice celebration...

Happy Birthday Medie..

Medie007 said...

Nick, I will... thanks for the wish! :D

Jerry, Thanks! :D

.:: Ant ::. said...

You docs are in a very special position to educate us bloggers with cases like this 21yo. I'm glad you are using the privilege correctly rather than write rubbish tales sexual fantasies.

Once again, Happy Birthday Bong! ^_^

+Ant+

[SK] said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!
have a great one~~ :p

ichimaru akira said...

happy bday dude.

We are damm lucky to be normal at least 99% normal.

Pike-chan said...

Happy Birthday dude.... and hope the kid get well soon....

Certainly a good post to remind everyone of us who is able-bodied and living a life to complain less about being unfair world, all the unsatisfactory stuffs, being moody, etc

Jason said...

happy birthday! so sad the kid..

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to wish you Happy Birthday!!

I had been reading ur blog for past few weeks, maybe, and I enjoy it. Your work, your thoughts, your life, really, inspired me somehow.

At times, all we need to do is make our life count.

Be a blessing and be blessed!

Cheers!

Danny said...

u definitely grew wiser huh? being thankful is the prettiest thing in the world...

happy birthday :)

V said...

we suddenly feel sad as a grave yard by reading this....

we wish u all the best! :)
and happy bday again!

Perky said...

Happy Birthday babes!

Have a great one & God bless! :D

foongpc said...

Happy 22nd birthday! We should always be grateful, yes! I just feel so blessed with my life, and I think we all should! : )

the viennamese said...

It doesn't matter how long will he live, cuz it's what he does and how many lives he has changed while he lived that matters.

Have a happy and blessed 22nd! :)

passerby said...

Happy Birthday to you.
-------------------------
* I'm the 22nd person to comment. :)

動 Orson said...

such a touching sharing...
appreciate what u hv all the times...

savante said...

Not to mention make sure you tell the patients their prognosis!

Medie007 said...

Thanks a million guys! :D

JL said...

Wishing you a belated happy birthday Medie. I too agree with the importance of being gratefulness. Looking at your friend suddenly brought me back down to Earth. :)