Wednesday, September 17, 2008

On Capturing Sarcasm

Now that I was known to be the one who 'volunteered' to present my long case in SS Loo's class, everyone else thought I'm like, you know, wow. Thing is, it's not what everyone think it was.

See, we have a record book, a small one that is, for the medicine posting. All the other postings have theirs. We'll have to go observe or clerk the cases or diseases listed in the book, as well as procedures such as peritoneal tap or bronchoscopy to name a few. And, there are also 2 blank tables at the back, where we're only allowed to fill in whenever we present a short case or a long case. By the end of the day, we'll need the lecturer or teaching clinician to sign for us, depending on what it is, either the clerking, procedures or presentation. So since I had my share of long case presentation today, I get to have my first signature for long case presentation.

I was at the dining hall during dinner time when a colleague asked if I managed to get her to sign for my log book.

Me: Yea, she signed for me. But I didn't get a good mark.
Colleague: But I think you're so brave to go out there this morning. I mean, no one else dared to stand out there, especially not in front of her.
Me: Haha... Alright... But it doesn't matter how much we get right? Just a formality I heard.
Colleague: Yeaps, that's what I heard from my seniors as well. As long as we presented at least once.

Then, when we were about to head out for supper with close friends tonight, one of them brought up the story of this morning to my roomie.

Friend: You don't know ar, Ah Bong volunteered to present in front of SS Loo lei today. 2 whole hours presenting his diabetes case.
KK: Isit? Got chopped into pieces or not?
Friend: Aiya, don't say like that lei, he saved the whole class wei.
Me: You don't know lar...
Friend: He was like, writing the PE and after two sentences, SS Loo stopped him and started asking questions. Then in the end after half an hour, she said he spent half an hour still on general inspection only. When the fact was, she kept on stopping him and asking what's the significant of this la, that la...
Me: You don't know lar...

I intended to say, I wasn't really that brave or anything lar. I solemnly admit I was pretty desperate for that long case presentation. At least now I won't need to worry I won't get the chance to present a long case in my medicine posting. SS Loo or Dr. I or Prof CK or the next teaching clinician, rest assured I've got the minimum of one signature for my long case presentation. Dr. I won't be taking us anymore next week, and we don't know how Dr. C will be like still. No doubt he's very good looking and all, but my buddy said he's pretty stern and serious. Who knows how more horrible life in the coming 4 weeks will be?

Pretty much wrong for the reason of 'volunteering', but I really wasn't. I was fierce-doctors fearing. I just didn't know I could actually hold my guts and present before one of the most 'maglinent' doctors in medicine. Maybe it is true that when people is desperate, he'll do anything he needs to.

However... I learnt a lot for the 'brave' move that morning.

Just that I hope, I won't be getting her as my examiner in my exams. She won't hesitate to fail us, that's one thing for sure. Yea I know, I barely passed the presentation. So stop smirking already.

5 Jujus:

savante said...

Malignant!

H.a.M.s.A.p said...

Don't worry abt it, some doctors can be really 'anal'! Its not the score that counts, as long as you are competent and knowledgeable abt ur clinical stuff..so don't worry too much abt it! ^^

Little Dove said...

Well done!

Cyclohelix said...

Grats!

Medie007 said...

savante. ok thanks. :P typo? hehe

hamsap, thanks! :D

little dove, thanks again...

cyclo, thanks again...

but why all the grats?