Monday, July 07, 2008

On Going Back to School

Am I GLAD school started today. It was a great feeling, I feel all afresh and excited. New shoes, new shirt, new hairstyle, new tie, new cufflinks... And nope, I know you would ask, its definitely not because we get to traumatised the incoming juniors for 4 weeks to come, really, I'm a super nice senior. But the first years do look timid and scared. Reminded me of how scared I was when I first came in. *LMAO*

We reached school half past 7, even though our timetable clearly states the Introduction to Medicine lecture starts at 0800. Rumors spread around that we had to be there at 745a.m.. But things turned out ugly that the first slot was pretty much wasted and had to be rescheduled, because lights in the lecture hall just didn't seem to want to get back to life. Too long a hibernation maybe? *sniggering*

But anyways, the introduction lectures that we've had, gave me so much insights on what to expect in the 3 years to come. We've had another lecture on History taking, followed by clinical exposure. We were divided into groups of 10 or 11, and we are assigned different classes. Meaning, the times when we would be having the same class would only be during the lecture.

Our schedule is quite pack for the 6 weeks of introductory here in UMMC before we head over to Klang for the first of our 3 clinical years. Reason having one year of clinicals in Klang, cases in that hospital are more of the common settings. UMMC on the other hand, is a refer hospital. It's just not so appropriate for us to start off our clinicals here. So said the chief of medicine.

Anyways, we had lunch at the canteen inside the clinical students' hostel. We didn't see any juniors alright, but we saw some of them 2nd years having lunch there too. Good old days. How we also had to pay for our lunch when we moved out of hostel last year too. And somehow, this conversation took place over our table while we were talking about our rounds earlier.

Me: I had Goh as my doctor. Same old stuff, history taking and all. But he's SUPER nice!
Sharn: Ours from paeds again. Ugh... Last year also from paeds, this year also from paeds. Dunno why always paeds.
Me: Maybe you're destined to become a paediatrician in the future.
Sharn: Yea yea, I hope I'll be comfortable with the kids.
Me: Goh is a neurologist. *beaming*
Sharn: What, you want me to say you're destined to become a neurologist is it?
Me: Yeaps. I do. *laughs*
Sharn: Eleh, menyampah.

Jokes aside, I also didn't know we would be assigned to him. We had a cardiologist last year, he said he would be taking us for this 6 weeks of introduction as well. But somehow, the groupings changed, so are the teaching clinicians. We just walked to the hospital today, ended up at the 5th floor. What a familiar sight! The neurology division. Doesn't matter anyways, At least our clinician for medicine is super nice. Wouldn't want to put much hope in surgery, everyone knows teaching surgeons are insanely fierce. They'd jump on you and bite your head off anytime.

But since clinical years is so totally different from pre-clinicals, I think I'm liking it already. I knew it already, even during that one afternoon when we tapped around outside the outpatient clinic a few weeks ago. As quoted from Hippocrates, Dr. Goh said medicine is an art. Not science! A hell long journey of art studies. I'm so liking it.

4 Jujus:

Darren said...

wa?aspiring to become a neurologist wor.yep. clinical medicine is more fun.btw, that picture of hippocratic oath looks familiar? was it taken from Talley's clinical examination? heh

Medie007 said...

it was an aspiration lar... not necessary means i'm good enough lor. :(

yeap, hippocratic oath from Talley. :) u guys use the same book?

Anonymous said...

nice article, keep it up!

Darren said...

yep. will b using more of it in my next posting,which is medicine.all the best lo.