Monday, June 09, 2008

On Grumbling Facebookers

So there was the price hike I'm sure you in Malaysia would know. I never really paid any attention to price hikes, not before. But yea, I am quite taken aback by the drastic hike made recently. Okay, maybe I was ignorant before this, but that was also because the hike never goes as much as 40%.

A rise from the previous price of RM 1.92 to the current RM 2.70 per litre of petrol put me through a lot of rage and anger. Hell yea I am. How can I not be? I'm imagining less travel in the much trusted car, I'm imagining less driving aimlessly around town to familiarise myself with the roads, I'm imagining less going out altogether!

I was on Facebook and I saw this group called '1 Milliom Malaysian who are sick of the RM2.70/litre Petrol Price'. It was set up on the 4th of June with an initial of just 1 member, a.k.a. the one who started it. But within 24 hours, the number of Facebookers who joined the group increased 4000x. As of today, the 6th of June (yes, another pre-scheduled post), the number of members has gone up to 12075 people. Amazing how a press conference can trigger such a united move eh?

And one of the members posted something about the gas price in oil producing country.

Well, guess what's the crap? Malaysia RM2.70/litre.

Now here's another interesting stuff. As of 6.02p.m., there are 12196 members who joined the group. We'll just check back a while later.

Anyway, I did grumbled to my mum about the price hike. Mum was okay about it. Dad and herself, as well as Sis did some calculation. As of today, with the price of RM2.70 per litre of petrol, the government is giving a subsidy of RM625 a year. In bankdraft, so I've been told, when we pay our road-tax. But if we break that down, she said the price hike wasn't as bad as it looked. Given I spend about 70 bucks on petrol for 2 weeks before the price hike, I'll need to spend about 100 bucks now that the price has gone up over 40%. So in a year, I need to spend an extra of 30 bucks X 26 = 780 bucks. Subsidize that with the RM625, we only need to spend an extra of RM155. Per year. She said we can still afford that. And that it's a problem faced by the international community altogether, there's no point we grumble about it anyway. Bleh. I still think it's ridiculous. Look at the first picture I attached, and you'll know what I mean. It's as steep as those rocky walls for rock climbing!

As of 6.11 p.m., there are 12302 members who joined the group.

So yea, I will still grumble. Even with the subsidy, which isn't much of a help as I see it, I do FEEL the pressure everytime I go fill up my fuel tank. I'm not a working adult mind you. I'm still living with my pocket money. And I feel guilty spending that huge an amount at one go. It feels sucky yes.

Brother TC was saying of taking LRT to work now. While I have the idea of getting a bicycle instead. Now that's gonna get me sexy in no time eh?

Okay, there's no point of me hooha-ing about the statistics stuff. There'll be so many people out there who'll do the same analysis on the price hike anyways. I'm just glad to find so many people out there who feel the same as to what I'm feeling now.

6.32pm - 12471 members
6.45pm - 12583 members
6.53pm - 12653 members
7.07pm - 12762 members

Don't ask. Yes I AM VERY FREE.

7.21pm - 12898 members
7.29pm - 12972 members
7.41pm - 13062 members!

Pictures attached are taken from Facebook group 1 Million Malaysian who are sick of the RM2.70/litre Petrol Price

6 Jujus:

Jason said...

Crude oil price has gone up from USD90 to USD139 per barrel in 3 months.

But yes, we're oil producing country, where is our oil!?

Mr.D said...

I think it's better to move away with subsidies. It is not efficient, economically speaking. Plus we are not that bad compared with many other countries right?

Yes i am on the opposing side, bring on the hate mail. Kekeke.

Janvier said...

Regardless, we still want to say it:

You are very free. XD

Medie007 said...

jason: yalar!! imagine having to spend 130 per week for petrol!!!!

darren: I HATE YOU. YOU WATCH OUT!! :P

janvier: la la la. i know. i am. la la la

savante said...

Our oil is going into some special coffers to churn out sleek limos, paid vacations and lovely mansions for a select few of course.

Medie007 said...

yea.. tell me about the bloodsuckers...