Tuesday, August 09, 2011

On Wanting to do Medicine

Was talking to an Indian lady about her youngest baby who was admitted because of wheezing. Some fever here and there and cough and all... That was earlier in the morning before the grand round started. So the chatting stopped halfway.

After lunch when I headed back to the Mommy, her elder daughter and son were there, playing with the patient, her youngest baby. As we were chatting, I asked her about her two other children...

Mommy asked me, "So you specialize in kids one is it? How much you pay for your studies?" And she continued to say, "I want my daughter to study medicine also. But now very expensive right?"



I looked at her daughter. And back at her. I flash a smile.

And I told her in my heart, "Better do other courses. Not everyone who does medicine will be happy and successful."

But then again... sigh...

5 Jujus:

Robinn T said...

I don't know why everyone wants their children to do MEDICINE!!!!! As prestigious as it WAS, it ain't a big deal now because apparently everyone in town is also taking medicine! So siao siao right? One of the reasons I wasn't really fond of meds anymore is because of the amount and heaps of ding dongs taking med.

even people who scored BBB in A levels have had the guts to take meds, I was like OMGEE where did you get the courage from??!!!

Small Kucing said...

Medicine so dat can tell people my son is a DOCTOR. Baru "harum" sikit. I say my son is hawkers at pasar malam, tarak cukup 'harum' lo

Twilight Man said...

Go read Kenny Sia's latest post, so well said.

Gratitude said...

Most kids were coerced in doing according to their parents wishes *sighs*
+Ant+

Crystal Colloid Cum said...

I think it has something to do with job and financial security as well maybe? Sure doctors work like crazy, but with their salary they wouldn't be poor right?

My parents never told me or hinted me to become a doctor or what, but medicine still attracts me somehow. And it's a respected profession summore.

But like what Tempus said, I felt a bit uneasy when I knew a friend who scored like BBC were going to take medicine. Wish her the best of luck though. (I have no idea how academically challenging medicine is.)