Saturday, October 16, 2010

On the Early Onset Osteoarthritis

I once talked to a young chap in 40's who joined this cardio class in the gym, requiring him to step up some boards or something for one hour. Despite the rapid loss of weight and all, he couldn't escape the fate of knee pain, and was advised by the sports doctor to stop doing that exercise. Like, seriously!



So, we casually asked our lecturer if it was possible for the younger to suffer from osteoarthritis, he said the disease is getting younger! Which, got me wondering... I have all the risk on myself, pointing towards an inevitable wear and tear of the knee joint!

Since it's wear and tear, all the 'gel' and 'padding' in the knee were worn out due to overuse and there's no cure to it. Not as far as I heard up till now. The most common thing I saw prescribed to the patients were glucosamine. Not a cure, but a form of supplement to help replace the 'cushion' in the knee joint.

Personally, I'm not sure how effective it is. But most of the patients who took it, including my parents, claimed the knee pains were relieved.

1 Jujus:

Paul Figaro J said...

taking knee joint supplement that contain glucosamine and condroitin is very important for me as I do as much as 7 RPM, 3 body step and 3 body combat, 5 body pump classes in a week! besides taking supplement, technique also very important!