Saturday, September 18, 2010

On the Patient with Poliomyelitis

Poliomyelitis is no more a common diagnosis amongst the young nowadays especially after the introduction of the vaccinations in all the children in the country. Vaccination of poliomyelitis is currently, under the vaccination programme in the country, administered in the 2nd, third and fifth month after birth, which is why it is very rare in our country now. In fact, it is pretty much an eradicated disease after the introduction of its vaccine in the 80s.

Having said that, those who were infected prior to the introduction of the vaccine, has to suffer from the disease as it was back then, incurable. The focus of modern treatment has been on providing relief of symptoms, speeding recovery and preventing complications. Which was why, chronic poliomyelitis infection, now live with limbs deformities.

Found a useful article written by a medical doctor for theStar about this disease; and another journal reporting 2 cases after 6 years of absence of the disease due to the parents deferring the vaccination. For further information about the disease, Wikipedia provided a very extensive information, though if we were to actually mention about to our professors, we would most probably be shot dead on the head for reading non-medically certified web-pages.

But otherwise, I personally haven't read much about the disease until recently when I personally encountered one patient while hanging out with my friends.

He came into the dinner asking the customers to purchase some stuffs. First impression when I saw him was, "Eeew... what the..." But as I observed more, I realized how wrong I was to even had the thought in my mind. His lower limbs were deformed. His knees were bending at a very wrong angle, and very thin. He walked with much difficulty, using his hands as the major support.

If he had to come over to my table, I'd probably clerked him. And buy whatever he was selling. But the waiter chased him out of the shop already then.

Still, I could've just walked up to him and lend him a hand. Which I didn't. And pretty much regret now.

So... In case you came across such a person, there's no harm in being empathy.

4 Jujus:

Twilight Man said...

Wow! I just met an old colleague during Raya who is worst than him. I am glad I learnt this new word from you today Doc.

smallkucing said...

i have a friend whom i suspected had polio. He said his limb(1 hand n 1feet) were deformed after a fever when he was young

He have extremely low self esteme. Tried to help him to boost up his self confidence but it's an uphill task

Gratitude said...

Makes us feel even more blessed right?! I still think of him sometimes.
+Ant+

Reanaclaire said...

He is earning an honest living.. we should support him by purchasing.. yes!